Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Shanghai Eats: Dongbei Four Seasons Dumpling King

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I'm a really shitty friend. Like the time I laughed so hard I practically hyperventilated when K was bitten by a monkey in rural China. Or the time I accidentally made him, a strict vegetarian, eat shrimp dumplings.

Ok, so maybe I'm only a bad friend when it comes to poor K.

Anyhow, while K was visiting us in March, we had a craving for dumplings and decided to check out Dongbei Four Seasons Dumpling King. I'd heard rave reviews from friends about the place and figured it was worth a shot.

Untitled

Our first issue came about when ordering. You see, you order dumplings by the liang, a traditional Chinese measure of weight equivalent to about 50g. The problem is, I didn't know this. And liang sounds an awful lot like liăng, which is the word for two in Chinese. So instead of ordering 15 dumplings, I somehow ended up with 45. Whoops.

Untitled 

Going in, I knew that despite the name, the vegetarian three delicacies dumplings contained shrimp. We ordered some along with the vegetarian mushroom and bok choy and figured we should be fine. What I didn't expect was that everything would be thrown together on one plate, making for a guessing game of what you were about to put in your mouth.

Untitled

Untitled

K lost after about the third round of guessing and ingested a shrimp dumpling. At least he said it was good.

There are numerous branches of Dongbei Four Seasons Dumpling King around town. I visit the one closest to me in Xuhui.

Address: 1791 Huaihai Xi Lu, near Wanping Lu
淮海中路1791号, 近宛平路

4 comments:

  1. This place is on our list of places to try out so I'm glad I found out about how to order or I'd have made the same mistake as you. You can never have too many dumplings though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely recommend going. We managed to put away a shocking amount of dumplings that night!!!

      Delete
  2. The dumplings look delicious! What is the green dish that looks like spinach and string beans, because that looks super yummy, too,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...